Header Ads

HOW SPECIAL INTERVENTION FUND WILL BE DISBURSED – BUHARI



President Muhammadu Buhari has said the welfare intervention funds allocated in the 2016 budget will get to Nigerians at the grassroots through a designated channel of states and local governments in the country.

The federal government, he said, would partner with the other two tiers of government in identifying the small and larger business that would be assisted with the fund, for the end target of creating job opportunities.

President Buhari had in the 2016 budget proposal he presented to the National Assembly on Tuesday, proposed N200 billion for the special intervention programs. There was however no explanation on how the fund would be disbursed.

But in an interview with BBC Hausa yesterday, Mr. Buhari said there is a holistic plan to disburse the fund, even though not all Nigerians would finally benefit from the gesture.

“It would be impossible for everybody to get the welfare. But we all know that the federal government has been saying that it would work closely with state and local governments. And at the local government level, it could be said that everybody knows each other. They know those who have small businesses that can receive the support and retrieve it.

“And then, at the states level, they would know the bigger businessmen, who would be supported, and who in return, would create jobs to people. This issue is clear and how to administer it is very much known by the people. Therefore, the arrangement must strictly be followed to ensure job creation”, he said.
President Buhari also explained why his administration allocated 30 per cent of its budget next year to the capital project, saying that it became necessary to save the country from total collapse.
“As I said, the ministers, used to be 42, but we have now cut them to 24 ministries. Hence, departments and parastatals must be reduced. As such, the salaries of non-existent workers in such offices, popularly known as ghost workers, have been largely curtailed.

“Projects and contracts, like the rail lines being undertaken by China, from Lagos-Kano, under the agreement, the Chinese contribute 70 percent to the project, while Nigeria will contribute the remaining 30 percent”, he explained.

He said the N6.08 trillion budget estimate would be financed largely by the increased revenues from customs, NNPC and the ports authority, due to the recent changes he effected in the agencies.